Also known as the Hermitage of San Pietro, it is located on Mount Morrone, at 1379 m above sea level, on the same road as the Hermitage of Sant'Onofrio. It is reached via a path that climbs through a pine forest starting from the hill called Colle delle Vacche.
The original building was probably built in the second half of the 13th century at the behest of Peter Angelerio who, according to the records of his canonization, retreated there several times over the years in meditation and in prayer. It is therefore quite plausible that this building was indeed a hermitage.
The evidence here is however inconsistent and some say that it was subsequently converted into monastery. It is true that around the small church there are traces of walls and the remains of buildings of various types but it is too small to have accommodated even a small community of monks. In the 16th century it was redefined as a small chapel.
The current church is the result of various reconstruction works dating from the 17th century right up until the 1920’s when it was in a better state of preservation and was still inhabited by a hermit, who by 1924 however was no longer present.