The church was built as a chapel near the fort and became a parish church only in the 16th century. It was first mentioned in 1183 in the chorographic papal bull of Lucio III. It was then torn down in 1745 by the Barberini who were at that time the local feudal landowners, and subsequently rebuilt with three naves. On the left of the church is the entrance to the fort and from the small square leads a double staircase giving access to the late Baroque church. Inside the church there are paintings dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows and the Holy Souls in Purgatory. Also of importance is the 18th century Baptistery, made of stone with marble inlay. The base is carved with the ancient coat of arms of the village, proof that is was commissioned by the then mayor Francesco Paolini.